Search This Blog

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Can a Polyamorous Marriage Work?

I haven't posted in quite awhile, there has been a lot going on with self-discovery, thinking about my relationships, thinking about my wants and needs, and just evaluating where I'm at and where I want to be.  Part of that is returning to counseling, part of it is the medication, but I think most of it is the communication I've had with my spouse.  We have decided to become a Polyamorous couple now.  I never thought that was something we could actually consider, but sometimes events occur and are a catalyst for the inevitable. 

Going back to counseling has been a wonderful thing for me.  I thought I had been given the proper tools though books or insight (or perhaps just stubbornness) to figure things out myself without having to go to counseling again.  I was wrong.  I forgot what it was like to have someone who could listen objectively and ask seemingly simple, but very tough questions.  I think we forget sometimes to take a step back and ask the simple questions.  What do YOU want.  How does that make YOU feel.  Why do you think YOU reacted that way?  I had forgotten about myself.  I spoke about it in a previous post, but it came crashing down on me that I had forgotten about myself and my needs.  I was ignoring some pretty serious issues that were causing tension in my marriage and other relationships.

I had felt for a long time that I couldn't, or shouldn't, say anything that might upset my spouse because I thought it might set her back in her progress of finding her true self during her transition.  Maybe it was the right thing to do, maybe not.  What happened was that there were so many feelings bottled up inside me that we became more and more distant with each other.  We pretended things were okay, but we didn't really talk about it.  It began to build resentment and anger on both our parts that things were getting strained, but we continued not talking about it.  If we pretended things were okay, maybe they would become okay again, right?

We had discussed the idea of open marriage on a few occasions, which was uncomfortable for both of us.  I didn't want to need anything from anyone other than her.  She wanted to believe she could give me everything I need, even if I have historically been heterosexual.  The two ideas simply don't mesh.  I have physical needs as a woman. My spouse had started opening up and things in the bedroom were vastly better than before, but it still isn't the same as being with a man.  As much as I have enjoyed our intimacy since the legal name and gender change, I wanted to be lusted after and needed by someone for sexual fulfillment.  I wanted to be wanted.  A situation was presented to me that was the catalyst to a major change in our marriage.   I saw someone look at me with that look of lust.  I responded to the looks and it stirred things in me that I forgot existed.  

I didn't know how to talk to her about my feelings except to just mention that I was being flirted with by someone and that it was flattering.  I saw the look in her eyes that she understood what I meant, but we still didn't really discuss it in depth right away.  At some point, I started feeling the pull of that desire and the feelings I'd been pushing down about my sexual needs and those desires came out in a discussion one night.  We talked about it and she gave in to the idea that I should be able to fulfill something once in awhile on the side.  I was doubtful that it would work, but a little excited at the prospect.  After our discussion where she gave me a "pass" to fulfill something she could no longer give me, she got very quiet the next day.  We discussed it the day after and it got very intense, with discussions that our marriage may not work out after all.  

I was devastated by the thought of my spouse not being willing to "bend the rule" of a traditional marriage...and very angry.  During the transition, I had been forced to think about and accept that my spouse would be changing to the opposite gender, try and reconcile that I am not a lesbian (bi-curious would be a better description) but still love my spouse and I was willing to try working on those issues to make our marriage work.  I was angry that I had done so much thinking about what I could accept from my spouse's gender change, what I would need to sacrifice and what that meant for our marriage...but the first sign of me needing something that made her uncomfortable felt like a deal breaker.  I asked her, "What did you really expect?  I'm not a lesbian.  I like sex with men."  It was a bit volitile because I let things out I hadn't expressed in the year and a half to two years she has been going through the transition process.  

I felt I deserved a piece of my life back too.  I felt I deserved some understanding that something I need might be uncomfortable for her, just as her transition was uncomfortable for me.  It wasn't that I didn't support her, but I just wanted her to think for a moment how this must be making me feel.  Yes, I knew she was confused when we first got together.  She also knew my stance that I will probably always need sex with a man.  I had to consider, from the very beginning of serious talks about transition, every scenario she might go through with her hormonal changes, desires, need to befriend women, possible sexual attractions, my role in supporting her with family and friends, etc.  I was angry she hadn't even considered what my position might be in the situation up to that point, or that if she had, we had never discussed it seriously.  I felt forgotten completely, like everything since the decision to go forward with transition revolved around her.  It wasn't totally her fault, I didn't let my needs be known, but I still wanted her to recognize what I might be going through too.

I thought a lot about what my drive was for being with a man again.  For me, it was about being desired and recapturing a youth I never really had.  I grew up too fast.  I was beholden my whole life to other people, especially when it came to sex and relationships.  That was before I met the person I married.  When I met my spouse, I found someone who fulfilled me in every way a relationship should...except sexually.  I was ashamed of what I wanted and she wasn't as experienced or kinky as I was.  I think I subconsciously chose to be with my spouse because it validated my own shame about what I like in a sexual way.  I didn't want to want the things I did, but the desire was there.

It's very confusing when your first sexual experience is "abusive."  That phrase, "sexual abuse" is still extremely difficult for me to say.  I was willing, I liked it...so it wasn't abusive, right?  I was far too young and the other person was a much older married man who took advantage of a young girl just seeking some kind of connection. It happened over the course of a few weeks, so I became quite confused about the whole situation.  That experience  and subsequent experiences impacted me in a way that might actually help explain my current situation.  It isn't healthy, it is just a fact.  I have completely detached my sexuality from my emotions.  I conditioned myself not to care about sexual acts because the first, and many after that, resulted in a deep shame within myself.  I was capable of breaking my moral standards and I had been used by many men... then discarded.  I had to shut my emotions out of sexual activity out of a sense of protecting myself from further heartbreak and shame about what I'd done. 

I finally realized that the problems my spouse and I had in the bedroom were not just her fault.  We couldn't connect on the same levels.  I couldn't connect emotionally, she couldn't connect physically.  We both had things to learn about ourselves, each other and how we work together as a couple.  I am able to be open to emotionally connecting with other women without me being involved.  She has been able to accept my need to physically connect with a man from time to time.  Neither of those things mean that we feel less for each other.  

Eventualy, I did end up sharing a few experiences with someone else, and it did fufill something I felt I was missing.  I was able to express a part of myself I had been hiding and was ashamed of.  I was able to re-claim something within myself that had plagued me for years.  I didn't have to feel so vulnerable to my sexuality, I could be in control of it and enjoy it without the shame that had haunted me for most of my life.  I could admit that I am a sexual person, and that doesn't mean there is something wrong with me.

The amazing thing is that I think this experience brought us closer together than ever.  It sounds weird, but it opened us both up to talking about things we never talked about before.  What we need, who we really are, where our life might be going.  Hard topics, but it was good for us to communicate in a loving and understanding way about what each of us was experiencing without anger or resentment.  I am excited to hear about her connections with others.  She isn't ready to hear about mine yet, but that's okay.  I have been honest about the few times I have indulged in what I have needed in a physical sense, but respect that she doesn't need to hear any details.  I think there is a part of her that feels more freedom that she can explore relationships with other people too without it being a threat to our marriage.  The key is the open communication.    

The whole situation and decision to become a Polyamorous couple was a very valuable lesson for us both.  My spouse was able to admit that there was a part of her that was angry or felt guilty that she couldn't provide everything I need.  I felt angry or guilty that I was not able to be the only person she was emotionally connected to.  I realized what I was really looking for with having a sexual connection with another person was to be desired by someone who wanted me to reciprocate.  Yes, I understand that there is a component of someone being trans* that inhibits their ability to allow someone to focus on their body, but that can leave a void in the relationship.  Human beings want to feel connection on some level.  Some of us need physical connections, some of us need emotional connections.  Neither is better or worse, more or less valuable to our well-being.  In my mind, to feel truly connected in either sense requires reciprocation.  

We are both very realistic people.  We don't know that a Polyamorous relationship can work forever.  It would be nice, but might not work in the long run.  We are both at a very good point within ourselves and with each other.  It's still a little awkward to discuss that we do have interests in other people, but in a way it's very freeing.  I'm hopeful that we can keep the core relationship of everyday living as it is, but be able to explore other sides of ourselves with other people at the same time.  If either of us found "that person" who fulfills all of our needs and desires and vice-versa, I think we would be happy for one another and we could part on good terms.  The realist in me says that it just isn't possible and being open to loving multiple people might be the best way to live a fulfilling life.  What a wonderful world it could be.

12 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have accomplished a great deal in terms of self-understanding and advocating for your own needs! It's not easy to do that kind of introspection or to have those kinds of conversations, even with the person you love. I hope that it will work out for both of you in the most positive way possible! I've always thought that love is a resource that can't be used up - there's nothing wrong with allowing ourselves to feel love for more than one person and doing so doesn't diminish or invalidate either relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that! I have worked really hard on being quite honest with myself and work on what I need in life instead of continuing to put all my needs on the back burner. I know some people might not agree with living a lifestyle like this, but I'm hopeful that it will work for us. If this isn't within your moral code, I don't judge that people might not be able to handle exploration of other people outside of a marriage. It just feels right for us and I wouldn't push anyone to attempt this if it went against their core beliefs. I hope other people can respect that and not push their beliefs onto us. I'm a "live and let live" kind of person.

      Delete
  2. The spouse in a relationship with a transitioning transsexual always has my empathy. I have worked very hard to control my very strong inner drive to transition and remain status quo. I dearly wish I had transitioned prior to marriage and children, but I just thought that would fix everything. Out of respect for the woman I so love, I have worked hard to live in the male shell.

    I want to emphasize that we are all different in our ability to control the deep desires to have our bodies match our minds. While I have been able to remain status quo so far, others simply cannot control it and a failure to do so can mean suicide or mental illness.

    This is an emotional post that I think many need to read. I always try to ask in advance however, before featuring a post like this on T-Central. I'd like to feature it, if you give an OK but I understand if you would prefer I don't.

    Calie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calie, see my comment below. I forgot to reply to your particular post, so want to make sure you know I'm okay with you sharing this. :)

      Delete
  3. Calie, by all means, please post this. That is the whole reason I do this. It isn't just for the spouses, it is also for the ones considering transition, in the midst of transition or who have already transitioned. I think it is really important to think about the reasons behind behavior and that goes for how spouses might be feeling too.

    Yes, we (spouses) might be angry, sad, confused, or any number of different emotions at times. Sometimes I feel that we hide what we're feeling just as much because we don't want to hurt our partners' feelings or hinder their happiness. I think our reactions are understandable and hope people in the transition process remember to be sensitive to what might be going on inside our minds too. Maybe we just don't know what to do with our feelings.

    I want people to know my truth and that there may be options to make things work. I want to spread the message that if you have this confusion about yourself and aren't in a relationship currently, be up front about it with possible life partners. You might be surprised and find a person who can accept you no matter how you feel inside.

    If you are already in a relationship, I understand it must be terribly conflicting to know if and when to let your partner in on what you feel if you haven't yet. I am still pro-honesty, but don't judge people who feel the need to hide that part of themselves. I just know living authentically is pretty important.

    I hear from people all the time that they wouldn't have guessed that my spouse was "that way" but they could always sense something sad or unfulfilled within the pre-transition person. They just couldn't put their finger on it. Chances are, if you feel conflicted about your gender, people can sense you aren't truly happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have rarely said anything on my blog about my relationship with my wife. I would have agree with your comment about hiding your feelings. My wife's true feelings took about two years to come out after I "announced my desires". I'm so glad I took it slow because I truly felt that she had absolutely accepted everything. What I didn't realize was the hurt and sadness that was brewing inside of her.

      Delete
    2. For me, the feelings that were most prevalent were the ones that made me think my spouse would eventually leave me. That, and the fact that I didn't feel like she could really talk openly to me about her feelings. It was a bit threatening to think about her "coming out" when I was the only one who knew the secret. Where did that leave me? Would she need me anymore? Would I be some reminder of who she used to be and she'd resent me? Tons of unsettling thoughts. I didn't even have time to consider my own feelings until I felt more secure that she still wanted to be with me in a marriage. My advice would be to make sure she knows you still want her and that she is still special.

      One thing that was a bit hurtful for me was that I took the time to make my spouse feel extra special and womanly on Valentine's Day, but I didn't even get a card. I understood that she was enjoying being pampered like a woman, but she forgot that I need to feel special too. I tried to hold back my hurt, but it did eventually come out and she didn't even realize what she had done. My "husband" had always been so sweet and considerate on Valentine's Day, so it felt like I was losing a huge part of what made me fall in love with this person in the first place. She made up for it immediately when she realized how I felt, but it sucked to have to remind her that I still want to be treated like a woman too.

      Delete
  4. I slept on this one. Just my point of view.

    Humans are such strange creatures and when it comes to sexual activity then they are doubly so!

    How many couples form and live together each internally muttering that they are not getting the physical satisfaction they desire from their partner, knowing full well that they have never sat down and discussed what they want or need, and probably never will!?

    I have discovered from countless blogs and personal chats that I was far from alone in being unable to play the part of a strong lustful male and who can be surprised at a M2F transsexual being otherwise? In my limited chances I made it clear that was so and each time it followed the same pattern. Early days of getting to know each other foreplay was important, then latterly the demand to be swept off feet. Perhaps some can perform like that to order, I bet most cannot…

    There are as many kinds of couples as there are couples on the planet. The traditional no sex before marriage, no chance of divorce model was far from ideal. How many couples lived lives with the sort of festering misery that transsexuals feel trapped in, a situation which they see no way out of? Move on a few decades and now sexual activity is now closer to just another bodily function carried out with hardly a second thought, it has become normalised for someone, male or female to have countless casual sexual encounters encountering no social stigma. As you have indicated, a whole range of sexual situations have been experienced before deciding to settle down to an exclusive arrangement with someone with incompatible needs and desires.

    We have moved from one end of a spectrum to the other in a very short time and neither end seems to have produced joy and harmony. Many of us seek an exclusive relationship woven together with mutual desire, deep emotions and absolute trust, that is why we stand up and make the public declarations to stay together for mutual support. Make them without true intent and you have a high divorce rate…

    I liken todays situation to building a house with poor foundations in an earthquake zone. When you add in one partner, an undeclared transsexual who has not made their sexual needs clear from the outset, then you are bound to be headed for trouble. Clearly if you see “marriage” as fairly irrelevant and you wish to act much like the free agent you were before marriage then why not just dissolve the partnership and remove the soul searching angst?

    This is an old fashioned point of view of someone blissfully free of cravings for sex, drugs or alcohol and thankful for it. You may find it harder to reach this degree of contentment…

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Coline,

    Thank you for the thoughtful response. I like to get all perspectives on the matter.

    I agree that someone who has not declared their gender issues up front have a much harder path than people who are honest from the beginning. I was fortunate that my spouse was up front with me. I was as well. We both love each other tremendously and are a very compatible couple. We decided that everything else we had in our relationship was still solid and made the commitment to each other.

    I don't take marriage lightly. I meant my vows when I said them, I am confident she did too. I spent a lot of time before we made the decision to be in a Polyamorous marriage, writing (privately) about what I needed in a marriage and what I needed physically. I shared all that with her. Unfortunately, what I need to feel satisfied in that regard isn't part of who she is, and is much like you described. She doesn't, and never did, have the part of her (or him) who couldn't play the part of a strong lustful male. And if you're "playing the part" it isn't the same. I understand that, and always did about who my spouse is. I didn't push her to try anything she wasn't comfortable with.

    I agree that there isn't as much social stigma anymore for anyone to explore their sexuality. I'm in my mid 30s, so kind of in the middle of the generational "shift." My generation was kind of the first ones whose parents started divorcing in mass numbers, before that...it was unheard of. I watched a great TED talks in which the speaker pointed out that the social stigma has shifted from it being shameful to get divorced to being shameful for staying in a marriage that doesn't make you as happy as you can possibly be. I am still of the mindset not to give up if you do have a great relationship where you can encourage each others' strengths, help them through their weaknesses, and laugh at the same jokes. Why does that one component make or break a marriage? As people age, most people don't focus on sex anyhow, it's all about the partnership. If we have that part of the marriage, why does it matter if we can get fulfillment from other people in areas we are not compatible?

    I respectfully disagree that in our situation I am acting like a "free agent" or that I view marriage as irrelevant. Quite the opposite. We talk about ground rules, everyone is up front about the intentions and that I do not plan to dissolve my marriage. It isn't secretive. I'm not going out and making hasty decisions and willing to sleep with anyone who pays attention to me. I have only been with the one person, and had never been with any other person during our entire 14 years together. I don't want it to be a free-for-all and sleep with a bunch of different people at the same time. It's not frequent, but gives me the release I need from time to time.

    Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) for me, I don't think there is one person who could ever satisfy both sides of me. The people I have been with who satisfy me sexually aren't good for me in relationships. I'm glad some people can find that in another person, but I don't see that kind of person existing in my life. I need someone as a partner who is sensitive, thoughtful, kind, and respectful. The men who have that strong and lustful side typically don't have those other attributes.

    I am a bit unclear on what your stance is, do you think it is possible for a MTF trans woman can have a completely mutually satisfying relationship with a Cis-gendered woman? Is having a matching sex-drive really that important in any marriage? If a couple is in agreement with the situation, and it is not a one-sided agreement, why does that mean it is any less strong of a relationship?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to Poly Land (Polywood?)! My family calls poly newbies "polywogs." :) I hope it works out for you. It sounds like you have the loving foundation, open communication and introspection to be successful.

    When my wife and I first became polyamorous we went to a lot of poly meet-ups and hosted poly potlucks, just to socialize with people who shared our lifestyle. It's nice to connect with folks who understand, and can talk about the ups and downs. We've met many happily married couples who have been poly for 10-20+ years, so it can indeed work long-term!

    I'd read The Ethical Slut and Opening Up, but am finally working my way through More Than Two. We're lucky to open up at a time when there are more and more resources to navigate the lifestyle.

    There's a lot about your story that I can relate to. You may find as I have that there are many strong lustful polyamorous men who also have the other attributes you desire. That came as a surprise to me.

    I enjoy reading your blog and I wish all the best to you and your wife and your other partners and your partners' partners. :) Welcome to the community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really hoping you would comment on this. Your blog ( http://transfinitelove.blogspot.com/) was a good resource for me to consider what it might be like. I had read it quite awhile ago and my spouse and I had discussed it before the situation of a real opportunity for a sexual connection was right there in front of me.

      I think this conversation about sex is the biggest one that affects couples in our situation. It's the one topic most skirted around a lot though. Nobody wants to bring it up, probably because it's the most difficult part of the process. As a spouse/partner, we want to be supportive because we recognize that transition is probably the only way that other person will ever truly be happy, no matter what. In reality, if we allow our own needs to be ignored or unfulfilled, resentment builds. We cannot be expected to ignore who we are in order to support who our spouses/partners are. If that is the case, it's kind of like them asking us to live that they had been living their whole lives, in denial and ignoring personal needs.

      Now, I'm not saying this is a decision that should be made in the early stages of transition. I think that could probably be detrimental to one or both people in the relationship. I think you each need to get to a point of a real security in the relationship or it could feel like abandonment on either part.

      I do want to encourage other couples to at least talk about this issue sooner than later. It is important to know what each of you is feeling and how you feel about the idea of opening up to other people for needs the other may not be able to satisfy. It was a VERY gradual process for us. I also want to say that you should not hold initial reactions or talks about this issue as the way the other person will "always" feel. Each of our perspectives and feelings can shift over time as we deal with our internal issues. Open communication is the key.

      Delete
  7. So true! I think you're very insightful.

    We talked about the sex dilemma right away when she came out as trans, but we sure did avoid discussing all our sex issues for the twelve years prior! It still took some time before we could move from poly as an idea we maybe liked to something we were comfortable doing. I couldn't agree more that security in the relationship, communication, and flexibility for feelings to evolve over time are all essential.

    I haven't written much about my challenges with polyamory-- mainly jealous anxiety-- but I'm finding even the worst pain is worth working through to keep my happy marriage and for us both to get all our other needs met. Polyamory has been a never-ending journey of personal growth for me for my first two years. I hope you find as much joy as I have with it.

    ReplyDelete