Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Oh Depression, you are a friend of mine....

I think the one of the most important things that has happened in my life is falling into a deep depression.  Okay, that sounds a bit negative, but it's true.  After dealing with the death of a parent, I sunk to probably the lowest point of my life.  I am prone to depression anyway, but that really sent me over the edge.  I was angry, emotional, bitter and couldn't find joy in anything.  It was affecting everything in my life and all I wanted to do was sleep or find some way to numb the pain.  Depression is a hard thing to explain if you haven't actually been through it.  It's hard for a spouse to watch when there is nothing they can really do about it.  I felt guilty that my husband had to watch that.  I felt weak for not being able to just pull myself out of it.  It feels like you're being sucked slowly down a drain and there is no way to escape the pull of the darkness.

Because the depression was starting to affect my work, I ended up going to a counselor for grief and depression.  I thought going to a counselor was also a sign of weakness.  Wasn't I smart enough to figure out what was wrong by myself?  I analyze everything, I love learning about psychology and behavior, I knew what was wrong with me.  Turns out, I learned more than I could possibly have imagined.  I can't say "I'm all better now!" but it started me on a path to getting to know myself better and actually starting to like myself.

Counseling was a very unsettling thing for me.  Someone was pushing me to talk about my feelings.  Just my feelings.  Uh oh...  But I always have to consider other peoples' feelings first, don't I?  How do I just talk about my own feelings?  What do you mean I'm allowed to feel these things?  What do you mean I can't control or predict peoples' reactions to me or my behavior?  I learned a lot.  I'm still trying to really know it and believe it, but at least I know in theory some of the things I need to work on.  I learned more about anxiety.  I felt really stupid that I didn't realize that I had anxiety.  Other people didn't know that, it was something I learned to hide quite well.  Oh...I was hiding?  From what and why?

When I finally started talking about my emotions and allowing myself to get them out, I started feeling better.  I got the proper medication to help snap me out of the depression.  I was finding myself enjoying things and being creative again.  I was being encouraged by my spouse and he has always been there to help encourage me to follow my bliss.  For a long time, our life was revolved around me finding myself.  I was feeling so good about what I was doing, I feel like I was neglecting my marriage.  And I was.  I wasn't being destructive or unfaithful, I was just being selfish for once and doing things just for myself.  That can't go on forever.

I think we were both avoiding the truth that we could not have a happy marriage unless we were both our true selves.  It wasn't bad, it just was....routine and quiet.  I had a wonderful husband who all my friends were jealous of because of his thoughtfulness, empathy, respect for me, and it was clear that he did truly love me.  Even though I was doing things that made me happy and was going in the right direction, I still hadn't really found myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment